Healthy Homemade Snacks On The Go
The Energy Bites Workshop at Grand Velas Riviera Maya in Mexico is an hour long class that costs $65 per person. For those who can’t make it to the resort to try out the class, Grand Velas Riviera Maya shares a recipe to make some of the energy bites at home. If you are anxious to keep kids healthy during travel this summer, give this simple recipe a whirl!
Want to do some armchair travel? Here's the website to the exclusive resort! https://www.rivieramaya.grandvelas.com.
Cacao Energy Bites
1/3 cup powdered cocoa
16 dried dates
7 tbsp honey
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp Maca root powder
1 tsp acai
½ cup rolled oats
4 cups cashews
For toppings: amaranth, chia, hemp seeds and grated coconut
1. Chop the dates in a food processor before adding the cocoa, Maca, honey, coconut oil, oats, acai and cashews.
2. Pour the mixture into a bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Roll into balls a little under an inch and finish with topping of choice.
Our friends at the Blue Zones (www.bluezones.com) newsletter weekly publishes an online guide to longevity with tips for health and wellness. Try this recipe out as a subsitute for too-sweet desserts.
Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup + 2 tbsp chia seeds
3 cups fresh strawberries
1. In a bowl, whisk together unsweetened almond milk, vanilla extract , maple syrup, and cinnamon.
2. Pour liquid mixture over the chia seeds and stir until seeds are incorporated. Make sure to stir it well, so that none of the chia seeds are sticking together. This ensures they’re all able to absorb the liquid and create a pudding-like consistency.
3. Let sit for an hour or in the refrigerator overnight. Mixture will thicken substantially. Soaking time is vital for the end product!
4. In the morning, rinse and slice fresh strawberries. Stir chia pudding and top with fresh strawberries.